- MA (Oxon) History
- GDL (Nottingham Law School)
- BVC (Nottingham Law School)
Robert has a specialist immigration practice with general civil law.
After being called to the Bar, Robert worked as a solicitor-advocate and OISC Level 3 accredited immigration advisor for a number of years in a range of London firms.
Robert has a very broad range of civil practice with a particular focus on:
- Personal injury, including both portal and non-portal claims; with a particular interest in Stage 3 hearings. Robert will also advise on quantum and undertake much larger actions on a CFA basis.
- Housing, including acting for both claimants and defendants in claims for possession of residential property; social housing appeals, disrepair claims, and 1954 Act proceedings.
- General litigation; with a particular focus on tactically advantageous interim applications.
- Private client; wills and probate with an interest in Inheritance Act claims.
Robert was also a junior disclosure counsel in the Grenfell inquiry and has an interest in the law relating to civil contempt, the information tribunal, and embassies.
Robert is the deputy head of immigration at 10 KBW, and is a specialist immigration practitioner with a particular involvement in the operation of the immigration rules.
His routine practice includes:
- Settling initial representations in support of applications;
- Drafting grounds of appeal and attendance at the First Tier Tribunal;
- Onward appeals from the First Tier Tribunal in the Upper Tribunal and the Court of Appeal; including preparing grounds and hearing attendance;
- Judicial review- settling grounds, permission hearings, substantive hearings; and
- Emergency injunctions.
Robert frequently practises in the following core areas:
- The points-based system and its successors;
- Family life & long residence;
- Protection including asylum;
- Human rights claims;
- EEA law; and
- The Reform Debates– 16 Apr 2016 contributing author
- Robert on RT News debate in respect of receipt of legal aid by “ISIS Bride” Shamina Begum in 2019
- Robert on RT News debate on the topic of moral & legal – published 14th May 2019
- Robert on RT News UK speaking on the study which shows 107,000 children living in London are undocumented, 10th January 2020
- 2008 – Lincoln’s Inn Lord Denning BVC Scholarship
- 2008 – Lincoln’s Inn Hardwicke Entrance Scholarship
- 2007 – Lincoln’s Inn Haldane GDL/CPE Scholarship
- 2007 – Jomati Foundation Scholarship (GDL Bursary)
- French (conversational)
Travel, history, politics, cookery, trekking, canoeing.
- Vice Director and General Legal Counsel of Republic
- Lincoln’s Inn
- R (Firdaws) v SSHD  EWCA C2/2107/3354 – granted permission to appeal in respect of the SSHD’s application of a long residence application.
- Barclay-Watts & Ors v Alpha Paraneti & Ors  HQ11X02379 – led as junior drafting counsel in substantial cross-border litigation involving mis-selling of holiday lets in Cyprus.
- Re Cicek  Norwich Coroner’s Court – appeared for bereaved spouse in Inquiry involving allegations of inadequate mental health guidance available to police officers.
- Calderdale NHS Trust v Atwal  EWHC 961 – dealt with sentencing for first contempt of court action brought by an NHS trust.
- WH (Pakistan) v SSHD  EWCA C7/2016/2000 – granted permission to appeal to the Court of Appeal against the incorrect application of the PBS.
- R (Ali) v SSHD  UKUT JR/7477/2016- successfully obtained judicial review arising from a poorly handled interview conducted by the SSHD.